1. Kalatori Square (‘Fishmarket Square’)

The oldest settlement in Rauma is presumed to have been located around the Kalatori Square. The waves of the Bothnian Sea were still washing the region in the 14th century. The ruins of the Church of the Holy Trinity are located on the south-eastern side of the Kalatori Square. The area makes up Old Rauma’s south-east corner and is located near a historic road leading to Turku.  A wooden church has formerly located in the area, and a grey-stone church was built as a parish church after the city obtained harbour rights in the 15th century. The grey-stone church was destroyed in a fire in 1640. After the fire, the Church of the Holy Cross, the church of a monastery, became the church of the parish. In 1810, stones of the old grey-stone church were still collected and used for building a western tower to the Church of the Holy Trinity.

Nowadays, the Kalatori Square area displays historic multi-layered structures and building traditions that go back to the 1930s. Such traditions can be seen in the functionalist style of the cooperative society’s former warehouse facility which currently functions as a hotel.

The plots located on the east side of the Kalatori Square used to consist of the city’s vegetable garden and tobacco plots. Kalatori Square is one of the oldest marketplaces in Rauma. It used to be a busy place of trade and had an ideal location before the Church of the Holy Trinity burnt down. After the fire, main marketplace activities shifted to the current Raatihuoneentori Square. However, the Kalatori Square area remained a place of trade and a ‘parking place’ for cattle. The area was formerly called Karjanketo and Marianketo. Presumably, a bakehouse belonging to the parsonage was located on the east side of Kalatori, in the Fiilar plot.

 

According to its name, you could buy ____________from this market square, and you can still find ______________of an old church

Write the correct words in the poem (22, 11) as well.

kalatori 1800-l loppu raunioilta
Kalatori in the late 19th century. Photo: Rauma museum
Advertisements